Temporary Financial Assistance

Since its establishment in 1925, The American Legion Temporary Financial Assistance (TFA) program has awarded cash grants to minor children of veterans who are eligible for American Legion membership. These grants help families in need meet the cost of shelter, food, utilities and health expenses, thereby keeping the child or children in a more stable environment.

Who is eligible for a grant?

TFA is limited to minor children (17 years or younger) whose biological parent, or legal guardian, is a veteran and is, or would have been, eligible for American Legion membership. However, Legion membership is not required. Children 18-20 years old will also be considered if a current disability requires special schooling or indefinite in-home care, or they are enrolled in an approved high school and unmarried. To be eligible for Legion membership, the parent or guardian must have served at least one day of active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States at anytime after December 7, 1941

No child is considered eligible for Temporary Financial Assistance until a complete investigation is conducted at the post or department level; a legitimate family need is determined; and all other available assistance resources have been utilized or exhausted. Additionally, the TFA application must originate and be filled out by someone at the local level.

For more information or to apply
Contact your local American Legion post or Department of Colorado at observer@coloradolegion.org or 303 366-5201. Fill out this application and call 303 366-5201, American Legion Department of Colorado, for an appointment

Make a donation

You can donate to the Temporary Financial Assistance program by sending a check or money order, made out to T​, P.O. Box 1055, Indianapolis, IN, 46206 or click here to donate online through the Veterans and Childrens fund


Temporary Financial Assistance is a program of:
The American Legion
National Commission on Children & Youth
P.O. Box 1055
Indianapolis, IN 46206

TFA requires the above form

  1. This fund is available through national and is limited to American Legion members or Active Duty with dependent children. The veteran must be a Legion member, the active duty do not.

  2. Page 4 of the TFA application describes the documentation that they require be submitted with the form.

  3. The TFA form and documentation must be submitted through Department Headquarters and they will forward the request to national.

  4. This fund pays directly to the veteran and does not have a provision to reimburse your Post.

I hope this helps, if you have question please call me.

Thank you for your help serving our veterans.

Tom Bock